FraminghamWorkers' Compensation and Real Estate Attorneys Helping Framingham Residents

Framingham is a town in Massachusetts that has been listed as one of the best places to live in the United States by CNN Money magazine. Most housing consists of single-family houses that take up less than half an acre. If you are buying or selling a home in Framingham or the surrounding area, the real estate lawyers at Pulgini & Norton may be able to advise and represent you. We may also be able to guide you through the process of filing a workers' compensation claim after a job-related injury.

Seeking Benefits after a Workplace Accident

It is not uncommon for insurers to deny legitimate workers' compensation claims. If an insurer denies liability in your case, you will need to use the administrative dispute resolution processes in place within the Department of Industrial Accidents (DIA). There are four levels of dispute resolution within the DIA.

The first level of dispute resolution is the conciliation stage. Conciliations are informal, but it is still a good idea to consult and retain an experienced workers' compensation attorney. If the matter is not resolved, it will move to the conference stage, which is also informal. Either you or the insurer can appeal the decision made at the conference stage, which will result in a hearing, a formal proceeding in which witnesses are called and testimony is taken. Either you or the insurer can appeal the administrative judge's decision at the hearing within 30 days. This will result in the Review Board taking a look at the transcripts of the proceedings and hearing legal arguments. The decision is only reversed at this stage when the administrative judge made a decision that he or she did not have the authority to make, made a ruling that is in conflict with the law, or made a ruling without justification. After the review board stage, you can appeal to the Court of Appeals.

Buying or Selling a Home

It is important to consult an attorney in connection with most real estate transactions. While some people assume an attorney is only necessary for a commercial transaction, Massachusetts law requires attorneys to be involved in residential real estate closings. Real estate attorneys can handle the details of purchases and sales, and can also help with issues such as zoning when you are trying to make structural changes to your home.

If you want to make a structural change to your home, for example, you may need to ensure that the changes comply with any local zoning ordinances. These specify how you may use your home, as well as its height, size, and placement. In many cases, you will need a building permit. The Building Code allows a Massachusetts inspector 30 days to respond to a completed permit application. The response may be an approval, a request for additional information, or a denial. In some cases, when you have a proposed use or change that is not allowed under the rules, you can ask the board for a variance.

You should be aware that zoning ordinances do not apply to any structures that are already lawfully in existence at the time the ordinance was enacted. However, they do apply to any structural changes or substantial changes in use that are proposed after the ordinance is in effect.

Legal Guidance in Framingham for a Property Transaction or Work Injury Claim

Real estate and workers' compensation matters may be challenging. Framingham residents can consult the attorneys at Pulgini & Norton for advice and representation. To schedule an appointment, call us at 781-843-2200 or contact us via our online form.